July 26, 2012

How to Grocery Shop while saving money (and your sanity)

For a while now I have been wanting to blog about grocery shopping.

I know, I know, not the most exciting topic, but it's something we all have to do, so why not do it the quickest, cheapest, most efficient way possible?

There was a time (recently) when I was spending WAY to much money, going grocery shopping without a list, therefore going too many times a week. I knew I had to get it under control as our family is now living on a single income.

Step One : Plan Ahead

Before I head out to the store I make my meal plan for 2 weeks. (I have dinners outlined, as lunches/breakfast are pretty standard around here.)

We don't necessarily stick to the specific days, but at least the options are there.

Step Two : Bring your list

I categorized the menu by section of the grocery store. I also left a space next to the item title so I can indicate if I have a coupon or not.

You can download the printable grocery lists  I use help keep track of your shopping.

Step Three : Leave the kids at home


If possible leave them at home. My kids are NOTORIOUS "add on salers". An easy way to save money is by not having them  there.

Step Four: Eat before you leave

If you shop when you're hungry you are more likely to buy more than you anticipated.

Step Five: Walk the perimeter

Stores spend a lot of money of setting up the store to entice you to throw your list out the window. If you walk the perimeter of the store first you will fill the cart with all the essentials. (Milk, cheese, bread, deli, veggies etc.) When walking through the aisles, try to only hit the ones you need. Otherwise you will fill your cart with lots of extras!

Step Five:Use laundry baskets

I take laundry baskets and leave them in the car so I can put all of my bags in the baskets, making it easier to unload the car after.

You can print the grocery list here.




No comments:

Post a Comment